Adopting A Pet
Adopting a pet is a wonderful choice and owning a pet can be one of the most rewarding experiences. At AWS PE, we believe that owning a pet is a life-time commitment and it is important to choose a pet that matches your personality and fits in with your lifestyle. We pride ourselves on being able to match adoptable pets with potential owners so that both end up having a real happily ever after story!
1. All potential adopters need to make an appointment in advance. If you arrive at the shelter without an appointment you will be turned away.
2. If you are interested in adopting a dog/puppy - email email@example.com. If you are interested in adopting a cat/kitten - email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Kathryn/Lauren will schedule an appointment date and time with you.
4. Meet Kathryn/Lauren at the appointed date and time at the shelter to view and interact with our adoptable pets. Our Adoption Specialist is ready to help!
5. Complete the adoption application form and pay the R100 application fee (to help cover our administrative and homecheck costs).
6. Your application will be reviewed by the adoption team and an AWS PE Inspector will visit you to do a home check.
7. If your home check is approved, you can complete the adoption process by paying the adoption fee at the shelter and taking your new furry friend home!
Adoption rules and fees
All cats and dogs that are adopted from AWS PE will:
- be sterilised to prevent them from having any unwanted kittens/puppies
- up to date with their core vaccinations (check your adopted pet's vaccination booklet to confirm the date of his/her next vaccination; this must be done at your own vet)
- be dewormed to assist in the elimination of internal parasites
- be defleaed (via deflea spray or dipping) to ensure that there are no external parasites
Dogs and puppies will also receive a form of identification - AWS PE numbered ID tag and collar. If you adopt a puppy or a kitten, our office staff will make a sterilisation booking for your pet on the day that you adopt. Your puppy or kitten will be sterilised by our very experienced in-house veterinarian.
Responsible pet ownership is very important to us and in keeping with the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro's Municipal Bylaws, we require that your current pets are all sterilised before you will be allowed to adopt. Our inspector will also do a homecheck to ensure that you can provide a safe and secure home environment for a pet. We don't adopt out pets as safety measures, AWS PE adopted pets are family!
From 1 April 2022, all adopted pets will also be microchipped! There is no added cost, your adoption fee will cover the microchipping.
Puppies and adult dogs - R900 per puppy/adult dog
Kittens - R650 per kitten
Adult cats - R500 per adult cat
You will be required to pay a R100 Application Fee as part of your Adoption Application. The Application Fee will help cover our administrative and homecheck costs. The amount will be deducted upon completion of your chosen pet's adoption, but is non-refundable should you decide not to adopt after our inspectors have completed their home visit.